Let’s face it. When you’re in college, eating healthy is really not your top priority. You have much bigger, more important things to worry about. It is interesting though, that whenever I’d get back to my dorm room, whether that be from the library, class, or a night out with friends, I’d always be craving something to eat. This excludes the times that I’d come directly home after purging myself on everything in the dining hall.
Whatever the scenario is, you're hungry. And all you have is your dorm room. Let’s assume the pizza place is closed, and you don’t have (or need to) be spending money on that Chinese food spot. So where do you turn?
Here are the best food hacks that we have found for anyone living in the dorms (or for any college student for that matter). These food hacks can help you save money, feed those cravings, and make you look like the coolest kid on the dorm floor.
The tools you will need: microwave, toaster oven, and waffle iron. We're assuming you have a mini-fridge in your room too. Also, be a friend and clean up after yourself, and don't set off the fire alarm, k?
- Learn why a waffle iron is your new best friend – "23 Things You Can Cook In A Waffle Iron" (via Listotic)
- You only need two things on life; Duct tape, and cinnamon rolls – "12 Clever, Tasty Recipe Hacks for the Dorm Room" (via Babbly)
- Forget the dietician, get a microwave – "40 Delicious Things You Didn't Know You Could Make in a Microwave" (via Greatist)
- The freshman 15 is only a myth – "200 Healthy Dorm Room Recipes" (via Simply Tara Lynn)
- Think of your dorm as the cute new farm-to-table spot that opened up down the street – "25 Recipes You Can Make in Your Dorm Room" (via Brit)
- Don’t trust us? Get your info from a trusted reality TV star – "Good Eats: 7 No-Cook Dorm Friendly Meals" (via Lauren Conrad)
- Breakfast: pizza, Lunch: Pizza Dinner: Pizza? – "7 Meals You Can Make in the Microwave" (via Her Campus)
- Every snack your college heart can handle. Guaranteed to not break your heart – "Healthy Dorm Room Snack Recipes" (via Sr Trends)
- What deliciousness you may be missing from your toaster – "60 Meals You Didn’t Know You Could Make in a Toaster Oven" (via Greatist)
- You will never regret that 50-pack of ramen you bought after you learn these hacks – "15 Ramen Hacks That Are Borderline Genius" (via Huffington Post)